A remote live-streaming camera helped locate and rescue a hiker in Katmai National Park on September 5.
Recent Shows, Economic Opportunities & Trading Post
After two unexpected resignations late last month, Dillingham Public Safety staff undertook jail operations for short-term transfers.
Qayassiq’s walrus hunt, once banned, now carries traditions of sharing and management to the next generationIn their fight to regain access to Qayassiq, tribal leaders created a model for communities to act as equal management partners.
Two Bristol Bay residents are spearheading an indigenous-led environmental monitoring program. Mary Hostetter and Bill Kane say their work, while still in its planning stages, is a foundation for an indigenous guardian program. The project recently won a 2023 Edge Prize.
The district plans to purchase the tank with grant money from the US Department of Agriculture.
In late July, roughly 100 fishing vessels joined together on the Naknek River to protest this year’s sockeye price of 50 cents per pound. Now, fishing crews are calling for greater price transparency, including through a petition.
Currently Playing AM 670:
Currently Playing FM 89.9:
A place for timely updates and lively conversation about the goings-on in Bristol Bay. If you have something you'd like to share, let us know! Call 907-842-2200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Anheuser-Busch says it will no longer amputate the tails of Budweiser's Clydesdales
- The U.N. plan to improve the world by 2030 is failing. Does that make it a failure?
- Abortions resume in Wisconsin after 15 months of legal uncertainty
- 2 Black TikTok workers claim discrimination: Both were fired after complaining to HR
- Dillingham's school district to receive more funding from city, less from state
- Arnaq Esther Ilutsik’s work in Yup’ik Studies uplifted students throughout the region
- Notes from the heart for Dillingham Elementary's Amy Ruby, who retires after 35 years
- Wanda Wahl selected as permanent director of UAF Bristol Bay Campus after years-long search
- Halfway through the legislative session, Rep. Bryce Edgmon weighs in on state budget
- Alaska House elects Republican Rep. Cathy Tilton as speaker
- Alaska's former House speaker Rep. Bryce Edgmon on current disorganization: 'We just don't know'
- From abortion to zoning: Short summaries of every bill in the 33rd Alaska State Legislature
Bristol Bay Field Notes is your source for an eclectic blend of topics relating to the great outdoors of southwest Alaska. Its goal is to educate, inform, and entertain.