KDLG Header Banner Image
Public Radio for Alaska's Bristol Bay
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Weather Permitting, the F/V Lone Star May Leave Igushik Wednesday

The captain of the M/V Double Eagle scheduled to arrive Tuesday; pending good weather and final inspections, towing ops could begin Wednesday.

DILLINGHAM:  "The vessel has been approved for tow," said Petty Officer Shawn Eggert of the US Coast Guard Tuesday.

According to Eggert, the captain and first mate of the vessel M/V Double Eagle were to arrive Tuesday, finish final inspections of the F/V Lone Star and the towing connections, and get underway as the weather allows.

"If everything looks safe, meets their approval, then the plan is get the Lone Star out of the [Igushik] River Wednesday, as long as the weather is good," said Eggert.

The National Weather Service has issued a "gale warning" for Bristol Bay waters for Tuesday and Wednesday, though Eggert won't speculate what conditions the salvage crews will wait for to get started.

He did reiterate that a cautious approach is being taken.

Eggert spoke with Dan Magone Tuesday. Magone sold his marine salvage business to the Resolve Marine Group earlier this summer, but is still participating in the recovery of the Lone Star.

"He told me that the Lone Star will be towed by the Double Eagle. The Western Viking will accompany them, and their crew will be prepared to assist with any problems, pumping water, so on."

How long it will take to tow the Lone Star for Unalaska wasn't known Tuesday.